Friday 12 June 2015

Woah. Garage Magazine.

When I see the icon for an app in a magazine that I am meant to download and hover over the page to bring something to life or access a video, I always ignore it. Always. I just want to read the magazine, I don't want to get all technical and interact with it.

That was until I discovered the eighth edition of Garage magazine. With the use of the Garage app you can bring the cover stars to life - 5 models, Kendall Jenner, Cara Delevingne, Lara Stone, Binx Walton and Joan Smalls. The models are all wearing Beats headphones and were photographed by Phil Poynter, with the art direction of Chaos Fashion and the make up artist was Pat McGrath.



I had originally seen a video on Kendall Jenner and Cara Delevingne's Instagram pages but was unaware it was still available to purchase. The magazine also features a range of other images and illustrations that can be bought to life using the app. To create the effect the models were 3D scanned which gave 3D meshes which was then used to translate their likeness to the technology.


“We are all obsessed with our smart phones, but the argument that print is dying we completely disagree with so have now made a point to bring print and smart phones together in a way which makes a printed magazine have a double tangibility,” – Charlotte Stockdale and Katie Lyall, Chaos Fashion


When researching the technology of the covers further I found this brilliant summary on Creative Review - so without confusing you and myself trying to explain this, this is what The Mill said, who created the CGI work:

“The idea was to have a specific physical mutation happen to each model, driven though the modular nature of the Beats headphones: android; crystals, smoke; scribbles; and shrink foil,” says the team at The Mill. “The initial ideas for each one of these ‘elements’ became the blueprint for shooting the individuals models.”


Technology was really pushed to it's boundaries for this project and I think the results are breath taking. On the make up aspect, McGrath stated, "the possibilities to enhance, add, or completely change looks with CGI are endless - and that to me is extremely exciting and groundbreaking." I couldn't agree more.


So maybe I will pay attention to more app icons in magazines, especially if you discover things like this. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...